10 Seconds to escape – Post Mortem

Well, it was time to encourage me to do the Post mortem of my first participation in the Ludum Dare 10 Seconds to escape

For my first time, I must say it was quite an adventure.
I didn’t participate in the voting of the topic, and I registered just in time to start the competition…

The creative process:

When I get no time to think about the topic of the game, just improvised. I thought of a simple game could be developed in the 48 hours of the Compo.
Finally I devised a puzzle game / challenge against time, based on the theme “10 seconds”.

Tools:

I had to create the game the with what I already had:
– Pixelmator to tailor the graphics.
– Sublime Text 2 to schedule the game.
– Internet for the rest.

Language and Engine:

Perhaps one of the most delicate parts when the challenge to create a game in such a short time.
As a beginner in this field, if I was wrong in this, I could not finish the game on time.

Perhaps one of the most delicate parts when the challenge to create a game in such a short time.
As a beginner in this field, if I was wrong in this, I could not finish the game on time.
After considering several engines with corresponding languages ​​and although at first I thought Java + Ligbdx, I dismissed this election in favor of Löve2D + LUA.

But why? Simply because Löve2D is less corseted than Libgdx and much faster to develop given in part by the LUA language. So with Löve2D I get faster a playable prototype and then I left over time to refine it.

—-

With everything ready to put me to develop, this is what was right and what was wrong…

The right

– From my idea for the game and thanks to a simple template I created for Löve2D games a while ago, could speed up the process and get a playable prototype in the first 24 hours.

– The engine choice was undoubtedly the best, because I could focus on what really matters and relegate the workflow to the engine.

– Internet is a large base of assets and certainly showed his potential quickly.

– In the process of creating the game I enjoyed as a child 🙂

– By achieving the prototype early, I can focus on making improvements, create menus and add music and even create new levels, making the game bigger and more fun.

The wrong

– Being my first time, I had no clear some rules and my Compo became Jam because the assets I used belong to third…

– I’ve not previously studied in sufficient depth the Engine led me to do some silly mistakes.

—-

Overall, my first participation was satisfactory and I’ll participating in further calls.
I had fun and learned a lot. I also tasted great games from other people and I had so much fun and discovered an amazing concepts become into reality.

10secstolescape3

Thanks for this Ludum Dare!

You may also like...

1 Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *